Track & Field Challenge


SCENARIO:
     "Our class has been asked to assume a leadership role in the Junior Division Track and Field Meet later this year.  We will be 'measurement mentors', helping to plan and execute this year's meet.  We will have to advise the teachers who are working on the schedule on how much time to allow for the entire track meet, as well as on how much time will be requited for each of the individual events.  We will also need to determine when estimated or precise measurements should be used"

     "To gather our information, we will plan a two-event track and field meet for our class.  We will communicate our findings, and provide a map suggesting locations for each event, to the teachers planning the larger school meet."



TASK:
     "First, we will identify all the measurable attributes of the track meet events.  Using a brainstorming web, we will record our ideas.  The web will be available for your reference as you work through the task.  We will have to determine the following:
  • When will precise measurements be needed and when will estimates be appropriate?
  • How can we justify our decisions?
  • How will estimating some of the measurements make our planning more efficient?"
Event 1 will be LONG JUMP
Event 2 will be 100m DASH

104 comments:

  1. we can create a chart for each event and label it. Than we can estimate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree creating a chart won't make people don't know where to write and words don't have to be everywhere. But what you do mean by estimate, which one estimate, which one precise?

      Delete
    2. exactly what I was thinking too!

      Delete
    3. I think it might be for both of them

      Delete
    4. I agree with you, using a chart to organize the info is clear and neat

      Delete
    5. I agree with you because with a chart we can measure it and see the answer in a clear way

      Delete
    6. I also agree become if we make some sort of chart like a table we can find the approximant measurement for the specific advent because it will be clearly stated or sown on the chart.

      Delete
    7. yeah I agree with you gabe because you would need to create a chart then divide it in to long jump and the 100m sprint then it would be easier to estimate and find are exacted answer.

      Delete
    8. I also agree with gabe so it becomes more organized, and we can get the exact answer that we are serchig

      Delete
  2. I agree with Gabriel because if we make a chart for each event, we will be able to find the measurement's for each of the events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree because if you make a chart you will be able to find the exact measurements in a neat way

      Delete
    2. I agree because if you make a chart then the measurments are neat and can be read.

      Delete
  3. I also agree with Gabriel I think you should use a chart so that your stuff will be in order

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we should estimate for the long jump so it will be quicker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and for the 100m dash it should be exact because alot of people get a close time.

      Delete
    2. and it will be close tie if you estimate so you should get the exact answer.

      Delete
    3. I agree because it will take a little longer to get the measurements for a 100 metre dash

      Delete
  5. I agree with Justin but I think for both the 100m dash and the long jump we should measure as precisely as possible.Because if we estimate both it isn't fair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think by making a chart is a good idea to find the measurements because you can clearly understand what you are talking about and if you look at it another time you won't have to do it over again to figure out the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Gabriel because it is easy to organize your work with a chart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Gabriel because putting your information makes it easier to read because it is organized

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree Gabe a chart would be organized and it it would be more precise like Connor said it would be more fair also you can use a graph chart .

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that for both 100 m dash and long jump we should use charts and try to make the measurements precise because as others have said lots of people get close times and if we just estimate too many people will get the same measurement and it wont be organized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rahel I agree with you because if we were to estimmate the awnsers then it would not be that organized. Also, if we used a chart then we would be abel to read our awnsers

      Delete
  11. I think that we should estimate for the long jump because it is hard to get the exact number anyway in long jump because your feet can move in the sand or shift after you jump.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think for the hundred metre dash we should get exact times because if you race kids that are close to the same age they come in pretty close time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i think that a T chart would be very useful so one colum can be estamate. the other colum can exact. i think we could use this information for the long jump.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We can first make a chart then we can just estimate how much space you need to jump or run. Then we can test it out by doing the activity. And see if it is good if it isn't good for ex. the running space it to short or the jumping space is to short we can make it longer. I also agree with Rachel because if we just estimate the measurement if will all be very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that for the long jump we should make sure we measure at the feet and not the hands unless they fall backwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sloane make sure when you measurer for the long jump you measure by the behind the feet because your suppose to measure from the back in real life.

      Delete
  16. I agree with Gabe because a chart is easy to show and gather information.

    ReplyDelete
  17. To find out which measurements should be exact or estimates we could have a practice round of 100m DASH and LONG JUMP, then we can round both estimates and see which measuement is affected most, and wouldn't work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a good idea to have a practice round of 100m dash and long jump as estimates to get a general idea to see what is the amount is and what we need to set up.

      Delete
    2. Sarina, could you clarify what you mean by which measurement is affected most and wouldn't work?

      Delete
  18. To find out which measurements should be exact or estimates we could have a practice round of 100m DASH and LONG JUMP, then we can round both estimates and see which measuement is affected most, and wouldn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Almost everyone agreed with Gabe but I think it is a great idea to make a chart for different activities and label it so count me in too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will also display the information that we as a class had gathered neatly and tidy.

      Delete
    2. yea Emily I agree with you because it will look netter and you could understand it better.

      Delete
    3. Emily next time can you include ore information about why you agree with Gabe

      Delete
  20. I think that estimating wouldn't be appropriate for both 100 meter dash and long jump because it wouldn't be fair for the contestants, if we estimate, we might make a mistake and the others win when they shouldn't. We should make a chart or a table. Also, it would be more easier to read and and more organized. For exampke you can put names in one column, then the number of chances you get to jump or run will be the number of other columns, then, you record the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you anna because it is a compitition and it would be unfair to the contestants. If two people were very close to each other you wouldn't be able to tell who won.

      Delete
  21. Actually estimating for 100 meter dash would be appropriate because we can't really get the precise timing for it. But it should be also organized just like how long jump would be.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think that we should estimate for the run because when you run you don't always get the time right

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think for the 100m dash we should estimate, because some people are running fast, and dashing couldn't be really acturate, so i think it should be estimate. For long jump, i think we should do as precise measurement as we can.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think we should estimate it and record it in a chart/table because it would be much more organized so people could understand it clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think we should estimate first for both long jump and 100m dash because we can compare our estimates to the real answer and she how far apart the answer was from our estimate.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i agre with everyone i think that there needs to be a chart because there is a big amount of people doing the 100M dash and the long jump so what thay could do is;do an estamet for eatch person then do the jump or dash then record the actul amount that you jumped or dashed.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think we should estimate for the long jump because people's feet can move in the sand. We should record exact measurments for the 100m dash because no one can slip or fall on anything or slide and make the recording off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I disagree because you can slip and fall in anything
      and I do not think that slipping and falling is going to effect the measurements much

      Delete
    2. I disagree because you can slip and fall in anything
      and I do not think that slipping and falling is going to effect the measurements much

      Delete
    3. I will have agree with Allison because when your doing running long jump, you'll have estimate the measurements because while your jumping, you can slip and fall. So when your trying to measure how far the person jumped you will have the wrong measurement. 100m dash you really don't slip or fall so your able to make an exact measurement

      Delete
  28. I think we should estimate for long jump because we can measure the distance of where there feet landed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kinaya can you expand on that thought i don't think your idea is long enough and if you make it longer it will be more effective

      Delete
    2. Kinaya I strongly agree with you because you explained your answer clearly but can u pls expand on your answer pls.Thanks

      Delete
  29. I agree with gabriel and i think that for 100 metere dash and long jump we should be precise because many people are getting close scores so i think they need an exact score so that they can put people in correct order according to there scores. I also think we could estimate for the amount of people participating in the track meet overall.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think that we should do the exact amount for both events because it is a competition and without knowing the exact amount it will be unfair. If i had to decid on one event to estimate i would choose the long jump because your feet already move a bit in the sand so it would make sense to estimate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Hannah because the long jump and 100m dash are very similar to each other because in long jump you have to run and jump. If I would decide on an event I would choose the long jump as well because not only will it be faster but it will be more exact.

      Delete
    2. hannah i agree with you because its importent to know the exact amount so it can be fair to everyone

      Delete
  31. i think we should estimate in long jump because it has to be fast. for 100m dash i think we should be exact because alot of people get very close times and if we estimate some people will get the same times as each other

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Hussein, estimating for long jump will be more efficent then finding the precise measurment because it would be very time consuming and the process would be very slow.

      Delete
  32. I think we should use precise measurements for both events becasuse if our estimates are wrong it would be unfair because a person would win when there not surposed to win. To justify our final descisions we should put all the names and measurments in a graph and that will show us who won. For finding out how many people are coming to the track meet we should just estimate because if were off by one or two people it is no big deal and doesnt effect the event.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Like Hannah said I think you should measure the exact amount for all of the events because if you estimate the measurement if you are wrong it would be unfair to to the runner/jumper. Also, when someone jumpes they could look at their measurement and if someone says a different mesurement they could start an argument and everyone could get involved and it wouldn't be a track meet it would be a big protest/argument.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precise measurements will be needed when measuring both of the events because lots of the times the runners arrive at the finish line at the same time and if you estimated it would be unfair to the runners and when you jump if you and someone else get 1 cm apart then you have to be exact so its fair to the jumpers.

      Delete
  34. I think we should estimate for long jump because people's feet can move in the sand.I also think we should record the exact measurments for the 100m dash because no one can fall on anything.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I agree with Alyssa that we should measure the exact amout so for both long jump and 100m dash because it would not be fair for the runners because they might have got a longer jump. Also they can start an arguement.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I think we shouldnt estimate for 100 meter dash because most people get close times so estimating wouldnt be fair.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I think you should give an precise answer to tell how long a 100m dash event is going on. Every body starts at the same time, the person you told the precise answer to is probably going to think the event is over when the runners are running, when the runners just finished, when the track in field officials are recording the times, or when the runners are moving off the track.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I think you should estimate on how long a long jump event is going on. When it's your turn you can take you're time to start, or you can go through it fast, and you don't know how long the person is going to take to start running. So you don't need a precise answer because it will be hard to get a clear answer and the estimate would be easy, clear, and would state a normal time length for a long jump event.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Estimating some of the measurements will make our planning more efficient because estimating is a easier way of being almost exact to a answer.

    ReplyDelete
  40. i think you should use a precise answer when two digits are very close for example the 100 m dash will only be a few seconds time spread and the long jump will be apart by possibly alot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy I don't really understand what you are saying, could you explain more in detail about why you should use a precise answer when 2 digits are close?

      Delete
    2. you should use a precise answer for both long jump and 100 M dash. You should use a precise answer for long jump because when there is a competition with many people you will need exact answers to determine the winner because if you just rounded someone could get 1.64 M and it would be rounded to 1.60 M and someone else could get 1.62 M and it would also be rounded to 1.60 M so you couldn't tell who won. also for the 100 M dash if there was a competition from 8 runners who each ran in races with 2 people you wouldn't know who won if you rounded because if someone got 12.6 seconds it would be rounded to 13 seconds but if someone else got 13.4 seconds then they would be both rounded to 13 and you could not determine a winner.

      Delete
  41. I think long jump and 100 meter dash should be exact measurements because a lot of people will have close scores and for both events the measurements should be right on so they know exactly who is moving on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skylar, I strongly agree can u expand on your though I couldnt really capture what you said. Thanks

      Delete
  42. i think for 100 meter we should use precise because a lot of kids well get close to the same number so it would be easier.

    ReplyDelete
  43. For 100m dash you would use second and milliseconds to measure the time. For the long jump you would use centimeters and decimeters to measure the length/distance. I would use precise measurements because other wise if you guess then most people would get the same time or measurement and then it would be harder to see who is moving on to the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I think for 100m dash it should be precise using seconds and milliseconds and for long jump it should also be fairly precise so you could measure with centimetres and decimetres. This will make the chart clear and concise and easy to calculate from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you rachel because if you are doing a competitive race and you get 15.6 and someone else gets 15.8 you would win but if it wasnt exact you would round up to 16 so it has to be exact. Same with long jump

      Delete
  45. Personally I think that a chart or a diagram would be a good idea to start off with and also I think that we should'nt calculate the 100m because it will take to long to measure

    ReplyDelete
  46. Personally I strongly agree that we should estimate 100 metre dash because not everyone one is fast or slow or some people would maybe run very fast and in a few minute they would slower and slower over every few kilometre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Benson,I agree with you but I think that you should exand on your knowledge on what you say and be more precise

      Delete
  47. I though today was fun because we got to so a hands on activity rather than in a textbook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabe i agree with you because i think it is better to do hands on activity then to work in a textbook

      Delete
    2. Gabe i agree with you because i think it is better to do hands on activity then to work in a textbook

      Delete
  48. In my opinion, I think that using persice maesurments determines how you ran/walked or the diffrence between scores. Estimations are mainly used if you wnted to round of the scrore or to predict your score. Also, by knowing your score you can compare and by estimating you are not giving accurate mesurments therefore not getting the real answer.

    ReplyDelete
  49. my reflection of today's activities are that it is better to have precise measurements in all activities because the times and lengths of the long jump and 100m varies.

    ReplyDelete
  50. i know that it is important to use precise in both events because if you estimate everyone will have close to the same answer and their will be no winner.

    ReplyDelete
  51. my reflection of today's activities are that it is better to have precise measurements in all activities because the times and lengths of the long jump and 100m varies.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Reflection on track & field: I think estimate should be appropriate on long jump, because it would be faster to do and people can really have different scores/measures. I think precise measurement should be appropriate for the 100m dash, because a lot of peple ran fast, they get really close time, and thats why people added millisecond into running times, and thats the reason why dashing should be precise measurement.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Personally i thought yesterday was fun because i actually for the first time got to test it out and see it in a real way that would support and make our answer more understanding expert of a math textbook with no supporting details.

    ReplyDelete
  54. My reflection based on yesterday's Math activities:
    -it is appropriate to use precise measures when something must be exact, for example, pouring doses of medicine
    -estimating measurements is appropriate to use when you are measuring different timings that aren't close
    -that means if multiple measurements are being collected and there are all very different from each other it would be appropriate to use estimating because it wouldn't really change the results

    ReplyDelete
  55. We should use a precise measurement when we want an exact answer for example when we did a 100m dash we wanted to know who ran the fastest, and to get the answer who ran the fastest we had to know who got the least seconds. We should estimate when we want to guess or have more than one winners for example when we did a 100m jump we could've look at each others shoe marks and we could estimate the first person's mark.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I think it was appropriate to use a precise answer for both events yesterday because for the answer we need the actual measurement for long jump and the right measurement of time for 100 m dash.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Using accurate measurement is better for both activities because if you are estimating then its not the actual measurement or timing. because of not having the real score, it is not fair because if the estimate is off, then they might lose even though he or she should of won.

    ReplyDelete
  58. My reflection on track & field's activities today was that estimation should be used for long just because people have different scores and measures depending on how far they are able to jump. Precise measurement should be used for 100m dash. I think this because, many people are able to run fast, so instead of just timing how fast you are by just seconds, they also added in milliseconds.

    ReplyDelete
  59. My reflection based on yesterdays math activity:
    I think yesterdays math activity was successful and it was a great way to change up how you do your math so its not always just a pencil and paper kind of lesson. I learned that in timed measurements like 100m dash it had to be very precise because so many people got the same second but not the same millisecond therefore if we had made it an estimate measurement lots of people would have the same times and it wouldn't be organized at all. For long jump i learned that it had to be fairly precise but for ins-tense if got but if i had got 1.99m i could round it off to 2m so for long jump it had to be fairly precise but you could round off if necessary..

    ReplyDelete
  60. My reflection based on yesterdays math activity:
    I think yesterdays math activity was successful and it was a great way to change up how you do your math so its not always just a pencil and paper kind of lesson. I learned that in timed measurements like 100m dash it had to be very precise because so many people got the same second but not the same millisecond therefore if we had made it an estimate measurement lots of people would have the same times and it wouldn't be organized at all. For long jump i learned that it had to be fairly precise but for ins-tense if got but if i had got 1.99m i could round it off to 2m so for long jump it had to be fairly precise but you could round off if necessary..

    ReplyDelete
  61. I think it is appropriate to use precise measurement when you are racing because when a race comes to a close end, you could use the time, to see who cross the finish line first.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Reflection on track and field: my reflection on yesterdays events are that you can estimate for long jump but not for 100 m because people get really close times and it is hard to now who won or will go on to the next stage and it will be confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  63. I think the approate measurment it the exact one because when you race the 100 meter dash what if you are close of winning at the same paste,you would want to know your exact measurment. You can't exactly tell who one if you havent timed it.

    ReplyDelete
  64. my reflection on the long jump and the 100m dash is that we jumped or ran fast or slow or even jump far or a short distents if you estamate it and thene actuly do the task thene you will see a little diffrence or a big diffrentce. In the 100m dash you could get a time like 19.23 or you could get 34.23 it doesent matter what you get to be faster or slower if i do estaments you culd be

    ReplyDelete
  65. I think it would be apropriot to use estimation for running long jump.I think this because uasly, the length will be between 0 to 2m so if we use the estimation we will still get a mark that is close to the axact.I think it would be good to use the acuret mesurement.I think this because 100m is a big number and we just need to know our time so the more acuret it is the more more better it will be, so I think it should be acuret

    ReplyDelete
  66. I think that we should estimate because when you do long jump there is a mark for were you landed and and if you landed far from the line you have to draw a line to the measurement line and your not going to get the number perfectly where the person landed.I think we should get the time right and not estimate this is because when you run there is no mark of where you past the finish line.

    ReplyDelete